View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Question

O.K., those of us familiar with NFHS rules are aware that the intentional foul is a point of emphasis this year. I'm interested in hearing from as many of you as possible as to how you would have handled this situation.

Team A is ahead by one point and has five team fouls. Team B is in possession of the basketball with 15 seconds left when the ball is defelected out of bounds off Team A. Team A takes a time out during the dead ball.

Well, as I'm checking the scoreclock, it's obvious that Team A has a foul to give and will foul Team B sometime after the ball has been inbounded. Well you can probably guess what happens. The ball is inbounded by Team B and the Team A coach yells foul! foul! and of course Team A fouls Team B. The foul was not a "wrapping" or "grabbing" or "shoving" or "holding" foul, but an honest attempt at the ball and in no way was the foul either aggressive or excessive. BUT, as a point of emphasis, we are supposed to wring up an intentional foul when we hear a coach or player say, "we're going to foul".

So, as I go to report the foul, the Team B coach is immediately working me for an intentional foul call. My response was, "not in that instance coach." I know I heard the Team A coach yell foul, but I most certainly would have "honestly" denied hearing it had the coach of Team B questioned me on it.

Oh, Team B inbounded and missed the final shot. I'm just curious to know how all of you would have handled this situation.