View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 11:54pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
I guess it depends where you are working. Some places are in dire need of officials and ones that can work varsity games. Others have a plethora. However, you could look at it a different way too.

Some guys are working 5 - 6 nights week making $65/game, for a total of $325 - $390 per week. You essentially could do the same thing working 3 - 4 nights a week for $330 - $440. That would open up a couple of more nights for other guys, plus one might also say this keeps officials fresher since they are not working every night.

I am not arguing one way or the other - I think they are lots of valid reasons to have different crews, work more nights, schools wanting a varsity only crew, etc. I am just looking at it from the economics.

I personally, would rather work 2 nights a week and work a JV/V doubleheader than work 4 nights and miss all of the chatter on here
It should be up to each official to decide how much he/she wants to work. It's why I despise the central assignor method. Under that system 17 years ago I would get 2-3 days a week and couldn't schedule anything else, even if I wanted to. Now, it's completely up to me and how far I'm willing to drive.

That said, I'm cutting back next season to 3 or so days a week by cutting out girls games. Another choice I never could've made elsewhere where you worked everything or nothing.