View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
While not the exact same sitch (no out of the park HR involved), I think Dee Abrahamson's interpretation of the following question (Ask Dee 4/27/12-Pg.55) addresses the question asked in the OP:

BASE RUNNER IS OUT

Question as posed to Dee-
This true-false question was presented at our meeting:
The base runner from third base scores (lead runner) and the base runner from second base (trailing runner) follows her but misses home plate on her slide. The umpire calls "No Tag" and gives the safe sign. The lead runner helps the trailing runner get to her feet. She touches the plate before the tag and is ruled safe. The answer was False. I contend that the trailing runner is not a runner anymore because she is considered safe until the appeal.

Dee's Interpretation-
She is out under 12.9.5
The trailing runner knows she missed home plate so she is headed back to tag it. The catcher has heard the umpire declare "no tag" and is attempting to tag the trailing runner before she can score. But before the play finishes, the trailing runner is illegally contacted by a teammate. When the defense appeals that the base runner missed the base and then was assisted by a base runner who had already scored, she will be declared out under 12.9.5.
Then maybe I am not correct.
As mentioned earlier, true 9.5.3 has nothing to do with the play.
I was looking at the part of 12.9.5 that refers to "actively running the bases and the ball is in play"
I guess, because she missed home, Dee is saying that she is still "actively running the bases" I was thinking that since she "passed" home and is assumed to have touched it unless appealed, she might no longer be considered actively running the bases.... Is she saying that since the offense recognized that she missed the base and acted on it, she is "reactivated"......
I guess I could buy that, but then what do you do if she actually DID touch home, but someone thought she didn't and pushed her and she went back to touch the plate?

And the other part (that wasn't answered in Dee's answer) was the fact that the ball wasn't in play....
In fact a similar question might come up if she missed any base on a home rune and was physically assisted back (by a non-active runner).