View Single Post
Old Wed May 14, 2003, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

I would never ask a kid anything nor would I listen to him if he offered anything.

I was a handfull when I was a kid. Here is a move I pulled when I played Little League. I got walked alot. I could hit. I also pitched so I didn't get thrown at because everyone knew I would retailiate.

I hated getting walked but would not swing at bad pitches. Anyway, the team we were playing, was pitching to me. I was very happy about this.

Anyway, here comes an inside pitch that I was expecting a curve and I couldn't get out of the way in time. I hit the deck and the ball hits the bill of the helmet as I am going down. UIC calles a HBP Dead Ball and the fans in the stands and the opposing coach starts screaming foul ball. I'm in the dirt and I hear the umpire say, "hey jerry, did that ball hit you? I wanted another swing so I replied "no sir! That hit the bat sir." The umpire reversed himself and 2 pitches later I rocked a 3 run shot and won the game come from behind 6-5. When it's all said and done either Umpires have to call it this or that. They must make the best and most informed decision between them and the other umpires. Human error is a fact in sports today and if you don't see a ball fall then the kid got lucky. That is all. Sometimes, Kids get lucky. Sometimes umpires miss a call. But an umpire should never be fooled into making the wrong call. Or the right call. It is what it is and that is that.