View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egj13 View Post
Here is what everyone is missing I think...

"it is obviously an attempt to deceive the runner at first base, and in such a move it is practically impossible to step directly toward first base before the throw to first base, and such a move shall be called a balk".

Look I don't know how you guys don't see this and I don't care really. It isn't a rule anymore anyway. The only reason I am so adamant on this is because of a discussion last year with the MLB umpire dad I was talking about earlier. This is exactly how his son explained it to him and how he explained it to me. The deception of the play is what is the balk...when you step toward third, then spin on that front foot to throw to first the deception of the play EVEN THOUGH YOUR FOOT HAS DISENGAGED THE RUBBER is what makes the move a balk. Now if you step towards 3rd, disengage, turn and STEP towards first it isnt a balk. Like I said this is an intrepretation straight from an MLB umpire. You all can take it or leave it I don't care.
And keep up with your blissful ignorance. Does it not make you wonder why you're the only one on here who interprets the rule this way?

If it was a problem, surely you can find video on MLB.com that shows this being called a balk, right?

I could say I talked to anyone and they told me anything. Doesn't make it correct.

Last edited by zm1283; Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 12:10pm.