View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 26, 2013, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=PG_Ref;874569]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post

I would have to disagree that they are considered identical numbers. I believe the intent to not have both on the roster is to eliminate possible confusion when reporting fouls. I would say illegal, yes. Identical, no. If two players have identical numbers, someone has to get a different number. But, both 0 and 00 can both play, at the expense of a T.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texref View Post
0 and 00 are no more identical than 1/11, 2/22, 3/33, 4/44, and 5,55. As has been answered, only penalty in the OP is if both team members participate. Why, bc the rule book specifies that 0/00 can't play without a penalty. Nothing to have them both listed.
Yes, they are considered identical...that is the resaon that there is an issue to begin with...maybe a special case of identical, but still identical. Many electronic statistical programs are based on player number and don't/can't separate 0 from 00. 0 and 00 are not like 1 and 11 but are like 1 and 01. Those are identical numbers. If you don't think they are identical, subtract one from the other and see what you get....you don't get the same result with 1 and 11.

I stand corrected in how the NFHS wants them handled, but the basis behind the restriction is that they are identical to record keeping systems.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 03:39pm.