View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 12:57pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Double whistles aren't necessarily bad things.
What do you think about double whistles when the drive starts on C side, either at a 45 degree angle or from the baseline? If I work a college or high school game, we talk about these plays and secondary defenders. A lot of time, the secondary defender surprises the C and the call is made by the seat of the pants. This is a time when I think the L should have the first crack at the play. However - and my previous post didn't get all into this - this is not to say the L is going to have the first crack at every play that goes to the hoop from the C side. For example, if A1 drives from the C side, elevates and it fouled by B2, I still think this isn't a double whistle situation. The L may have a cadence whistle, but it should be on something that is obvious that the C doesn't call. IMO, this applies to plays that start, develop and finish in the C's primary. If a play goes right down the middle of the lane, or close, it is different.

Last night we had a few double whistles in my game. I work with the official I had double whistles with a lot and they must have been good double whistles. I say this because he is my friend, I know him and if we have a double whistle that is clearly in my PCA (a call that is absolutely mine to make) I'm not even looking at him as I move to report.