View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 05:30pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rooster View Post
Earlier this seasson dsqrddgd909 started a thread about getting worse and I was definitely in that camp.

Anyone get worse after the first few years?

I'm a 3rd year guy and I felt like I was going backward too. My preliminary (freshman and JV) games were going too long. There were too many fouls according to my observers, causing the varsity games to start late. Coaches were getting frustrated, and I felt like I was being a jerk to the players.

About halfway through the season I had a real bad game that had us shooting the double bonus late in the second quarter and then again late in the third. I was trying to implement the idea of players making the adjustment to what we were calling but it wasn't working. We had exactly zero flow. Both defenses were really aggressive and kept thumping each other and in my mind no one was making the adjustment to what we were calling. One varsity official was pretty unhappy about the late start and said some difficult things to accept. This had me asking myself some real tough questions after the game about whether or not I am cut out for officiating. But I kept mulling and reflecting on what he said and worked it into my game and as difficult as it was to hear, I think it was a turning point in my season and a move in the right direction for my officiating. It is starting to go forward again. I let the players play a little more and have found that I don’t have to go get so much (in my primary, of course )

Last night’s games went well. One was a blowout that I think my partner and I handled well. The foul count was good, 5-2 in the first half and 9-6 in the second. NO double bonus. We had good communication between us and I made some good game management calls that came from applying what I think were appropriate filters. The coaches who seemed fiery and belligerent at the beginning of the game behaved themselves.

The second game was an evenly matched game that had plenty of back and forth and I was enjoying it. It seemed to me that I was “feeling” the game. For example, I got straight-lined, and rather than realizing after playing it back in my head as I’ve done in the past, I felt it and made adjustments during the game. I “only” got straight-lined one more time (I think…).

Coaches from both sides squawked a few times and I responded with the “I hear ya, coach.” or “I’ll look for it coach.” I got quick nods from both, with no facial contortions, and they turned back to their players. Woo hoo! My partner and I had a double whistle where he had a held ball and I had a foul before the held ball. We got together and went with the foul. Coach squawked and I explained quickly that his player had the other by the arm before the tie-up and coach said “Oh, ok.” and quickly turned his attention back to his players. Woo double hoo! One team’s player protesteth much, but not so much as to warrant a T, and I talked to the coach about him. He pulled the player out and three plays later told another kid “Keep your mouth closed!” We got in the bonus with about 1:30 left in the game because one team started to pull away and the other started fouling. The varsity game started right at 7pm!

Overall I think I was much less part of the game and instead just happened to have the best seats in the house for a good game. I felt like I was in the right place at the right time and I was even in position for the next play. The game seems to be slowing down a bit, opening up a bit, and becoming much more enjoyable. A far cry from where I was a month ago...

Thanks for reading. I'd be glad to get the perspective of anyone who want to share it.
Monday night we had one team in the double bonus with 3 minutes left in the third quarter. Guess that guy who gave it to you would think I suck. We can only call the game in front of us.

You're using foul count and the satisfaction of the varsity official and his starting time as a barometer and that's not the right measuring stick. (That guy would be most thrilled if you called zero fouls and there was a bloodbath cause the varsity game could then start 10 minutes early.)

You need to get a feel for which contact is incidental and which contact isn't. You don't get that from looking at the scoreboard. That's as bad as a coach telling you the fouls are 8-2.

Some nights I've had the fewest fouls in the area and some nights I've had the most.

The main reason we don't start varsity games on time is that the preliminary game is started too late to comfortably accommodate the schedule.