Thread: HR, missed base
View Single Post
Old Tue May 13, 2003, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

I don't think we should conclude that Freix's response reflects elitism. He expressed merely surprise, not disdain. I've learned a great deal on these threads and freely admit to having harbored significant misconceptions about certain rules. (I once thought that if two runners were on a base, the one who got there first was the "preceding" running.) But I too was surprised that the first four answers to the original post were all different. The plays are covered specifically and similarly in all rules codes and in no way are HTBT situations or involve judgment or interpretation.

As for the subjects Tim mentions, (1) running lane plays come in many variations that have involved all sorts of debate, (2) the answer to the caught third strike question isn't neatly covered in rule such-and-such or case book play number whatever (that I know of), and (3) all kinds of "what ifs" can arise, especially since the various codes award bases differently and place different restrictions on runners. There are also some plays that I or Tim or Freix or any of us would call differently based simply on our own standards of what constitutes verbal interference, USC, "quality throw," "continuing action," and so on. Debate and discussion on those situations is extremely helpful in making us better umpires. We also recognize that the rule books are often ambiguous, and that even the guidance from Major League umpires has sometimes been contradictory.

I'm not suggesting that the only legitimate questions for the board are those whose answers can't be found somewhere in the books. I've read the books a hundred times and still appreciate refresher questions, which I often miss.