View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 21, 2013, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
So specifically the FIBA situation but all situations really. How tight do you call off ball stuff on inbounds in the last two minutes.

THis may sound bizarre and I know a foul is foul, but in the last two minutes on a dead ball defensive foul its an automatic unsportsmanlike = 2 shots and ball back.

I've worked with a variety of partners who handle it different ways. Some will let the defense get away with anything in the last 2 minutes because "they aren't calling an unsportsmanlike there" and since any foul has to be unsportsmanlike they won't. Other who will call the foul but wait until the passer releases the ball before blowing the whistle and making the call so its after the ball ball in in play.

I just see more and moer officials hesitant to make off the ball calls late in games particularly this siutation and find it leads to more and more phsyical play in the dying minutes as "players decide the game".
We had one of those last week. My partner called a holding foul (good call) before the ball was inbounded. He called it unsportsmanlike and life went on. If someone complains, tell them to talk to the rule makers at FIBA. I don't write the rules, I just call the game.