View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 19, 2013, 11:04am
Get away from me, Steve.

I worked a middle school game last season as a favor to a guy who was working a state football final -- he needed someone, it was in town, I'm a whore, etc. etc. $60 for 2 quick games with 6 minute quarters 5 minutes from home sounded good to me.

I completely get what you're saying. I showed up 45 minutes early...and was the only one in the gym.

I asked for a place to change...they looked at me funny and said, "Our officials usually come dressed."

My partner showed up about 6 minutes before tip-off. He sat down in the bleachers and changed his shoes and left his shoes and coat there.

I guess I was in Rome and wasn't doing what the Romans do. I was also told after the games that I was by far the best official they had seen there in their memory. Neither coach said a word to me all afternoon. The other guy? He wasn't terrible, but I wouldn't take him to do anything higher than that level.

I have no problem with saving some steps here and there, but I always work with the expectation that somebody might be watching or that my game might end up on YouTube (take it from someone whose worst officiating moment in 26 years *is* on YouTube) -- not because they will, but because that gives me extra motivation to work hard and be the kind of official I want to be every game.