View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 11:14am
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down Re: Me too!

Those college and NBA refs that you think have pathetic mechanics, are not pathetic to their levels. Their mechanics are totally different than NF mechanics. So you might think they are doing something incorrect, when they have different signals and different positioning all together. Keep in mind, they are scutinized much more then we as NF officials would ever understand. They actually have evaluators going over plays with them on a regular basis and going over all, and I mean all their calls.

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref
It's difficult to watch a game and not "be the referee" anymore. I can't enjoy the action on the floor! It is also difficult to enjoy a college TV game, too.

Before I got into the business heavily, I always complained about what officials were or weren't calling. Now, I just note those things in my head and try to learn how I could make a different call...how I could be in better position so that I don't make the wrong call.

Now, when I watch games on TV, I make fun of the pathetic mechanics I see on both the college and pro levels. I work EXTREMELY hard at being mechanically sound. Therefore, when I see poor mechanics on display by guys making SEVERAL hundreds more than me...well, I can't help but laugh. There are mechanically sound officials at all levels, however, there seems to be several more that need a lot of help. Guess they don't care about their mechanics...because if they did, they wouldn't look as bad as they do!