Thread: Charge
View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 03:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_ref View Post
Assuming secondary defender, the lead (who you wouldn't know is even alive) is straightlined and only comes to life to gather the ball after it bounces past him.

Who cares about the players?...gotta get that ball!!

Even in college with the RA this could have been called a charge for leading with the knee.

Fouls and Penalties. 10-1.12.
A secondary defender as defined in Rule 4-61
cannot establish initial legal guarding position in the restricted area for the purpose
of drawing a player control foul/charge when defending a player who is in control
of the ball (i.e., dribbling or shooting) or who has released the ball for a pass or try.
When illegal contact occurs within this Restricted Area, such contact shall be called
a blocking foul, unless the contact is a flagrant foul.
a. When illegal contact occurs by the offensive player leading with a foot or
unnatural, extended knee, or warding off with the arm, such contact shall

be called a player-control foul.
I am going to disagree with that last point, the player was dunking. He was not leading with anything and if this was an NCAA game, this is if anything a block because of the RA rules. He jumps over the guy, not leading with his leg or anything. The guy is in a place he is not supposed to be in those rules and why they came up with the RA in the first place, to prevent players from standing under the basket just to cause contact. And why I would be OK with a change in the NF rule for that very reason. The problem is those plays are so rare at the high school level it would be hard to justify a change.

Peace