Thread: Charge
View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 03:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I'm confused about this play, and I'm at work and don't have my books. In the case of a dunker, is the ball dead when it passes through the hoop, or does the ball remain live until the airborne shooter returns to the floor?
I honestly do not care about the ball being dead or that aspect of the play from my point of view. The play by all accounts is over if you feel the defender was not in a LGP and the action did not prevent the dunker from landing properly or be under control and certainly did not prevent the dunk. For me this is simply an issue of advantage, disadvantage after you have determined the actions by the defender were legal or not as it relates to taking a charge. And this play is very, very close and not a slam dunk (pun intended) either way. And I call more charges personally than I bet most people here call them. I did see an angle today on ESPN from a half-court that did not help in determining for me if the defender slid over while the player went airborne. If you deem the defender was in a LGP, I am not even convinced I would call a foul that way either as the defender was not really displaces during the actual action but after the dunk as he has someone under him.

Peace