View Single Post
Old Fri May 09, 2003, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by VaASAump
CecilOne is correct. The term "presented" is mainly used in LL (not sure I like the word "only" )
I guess "only" is like never, a word that never applies. Around here, we have NFHS, NCAA, ASA, PONY and LL. I keep trying to avoid the "present the ball" terminology so we non-LL umps don't get caught up in LL pitch rules.

Quote:
Originally posted by VaASAump
As for ASA, well, CecilOne already stated that one. No where in rule book does it state that pitcher has to hold the ball in front of body. ... snip ...
Hypothetically, because the "shoulders square" and "holding the ball" are both part of 6-1, a possible implication is that they must be done jointly, not in sequence. Then the pitch starts with the separation of the hands and (my interpretation) the batter has to be able to see that to be legal. But then 6-1-B and 6-1-C can't be done jointly, so that negates that view.

However, all that is irrelevant because you can't call what you can't see, so if the hand joining is not visible, it didn't happen and it's illegal. Nice of NCAA to be so specific.