View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 11:34am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
A hand-check is a violation in which a defender uses a hand to impede a player's progress.

Seems to me that if you do this during a shot (or even as it's being gathered to shoot), you're not really impeding progress as much as displacing a shooter (i.e. pushing). So if you're calling a hand-check, then you're calling a foul that occurred prior to the shot rather than during it.

Probably an exceedingly small nit to pick ... but honestly, I can see the parent's beef, and I'd call it a push if it happens during a shot going forward.
Actually, a hand check is a foul, not a violation. Beyond that, you bring an interesting analysis.

However, how can it pushing if the arms/hands never move forward? Pushing requires motion, generally from the arms or forearms (and sometimes the body, as in displacement). If the upright hands alone create the advantageous contact, there's your foul. If he's in the act of shooting, so be it.

So, pushing is out. Blocking? Maybe. Holding? No grasping in this case. Illegal contact? That could work, but I found it to be too vague here. If you want the kids to defend with their feet, and not their hands, wouldn't "hand check" make that point all the more clear?