Thread: ASA obstruction
View Single Post
Old Tue May 06, 2003, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA

The insanity is that you keep coming back with the same questions as if the answers are going to change if you ask the question enough. What are you, a reporter on the political desk?

It is my opinion that you don't want to get it. You ask the same questions on multiple boards, argue with the answers, find a way to bring your baseball "experience" into the fray and then denounce the organizations which have rules with which you disagree, or cannot grasp.

There are hundreds of thousands of players, coaches and umpires in 165 countries that completely understand and play by these rules. They play with a variation of rule books, mostly ISF or a local similarity, which were or still are based on the ASA rule book. Even NFHS has been making some big moves to bring much of their book back in line with ASA's on major points.

This isn't baseball. ASA rules are so plain and simple at some points, it's almost ridiculous that some discussions even arise.

Just my personal opinion,

Mike [/B]
Man, don't take my disagreement with a single rule so personal! I can live with the rule. I was just trying to understand it better. In the process of trying to understand it better, I simply stumbled across what I think is a glaring hole in it. But that scenario hardly ever happens so nobody is losing a lot of sleep over it.

This is an umpire forum. Things are often discussed on a purely academic basis.

Hey, I can think of a lot of rules that I think could be better in EVERY system of rules. Even baseball!

I find it interesting when so many organizations see a single event is such different ways. They all mostly agree on the infraction but differ wildly on how to enforce the penalty. It's my opinion, that some organizations have a more logical penalty system. No big deal!

For years, people have criticized NFHS baseball rules. And, over a period of time, the NFHS has adapted has been somewhat responsive to many complaints - to their credit. The common complaint was that it needlessly strayed from more common expectations and interpretations of baseball as people have grown to know the game. Let's face it, OBR has been around a lot longer than NFHS. I'm not saying that makes it better, but it is what people seem to expect from a baseball game. People shouldn't have to go to a baseball game and be surprised by the rule applications?

I have a daughter who plays competitive fastpitch softball. We play in many ASA tournaments throughout the season. They're great! A great organization. The rules seem to work ... but that doesn't mean there aren't "holes" in those rules.

I think delaying an obstruction call with a lingering uncertain award that could go either way happens to be a bad rule.

Man, don't get angry! I don't expect the world to change just because *I* don't agree with it.

Hey, you don't have candles burning around an ASA rulebook that you pay homage to on a nightly basis, do you? [g]