View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
I witnessed this at a middle school game last night. I was sitting in the stands with no game responsibilities.

Near the end of the game. Team B (visitors) is leading by 3. Player on team B (#44) is fouled and is shooting 2 shots. First inept looking shot misses badly. Team B calls full time out. After the time out a different player (# 42) goes to the line and strokes in second free throw. Referees do not notice any of this.

I only umpire baseball so my knowledge of basketball is somewhat limited but I assume that it is one or both referees responsibility to catch this infraction and penalize accordingly.

My question is if I were the official scorer (a task which I do from time to time) and I notice a case like this which goes unnoticed by the officials, can or should I bring it to the attention of the officials and if so, when?

Also just out of curiosity, what would the imposed penalties be in this case?

Technical foul charged to 42. 10-3-6-f.

Piss poor situational awareness by the officials. This should never happen. Timeout should never be granted without the officials knowing who the shooter is nor should play have been resumed without the crew confirming who was at the line.