View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have seen it with others for sure. Some people never progress or learn the tricks of the trade to advance their skills. I remember John Adams saying some time ago before he was the NCAA Supervisor, he said, "Some guys just get it and others do not." I think that is somewhat true. And I think many younger officials overanalyze things in their game. We all have bad things happen or deal with conflict even with many years of experience.

It sounds like to me your issue is more about confidence than anything. You have to realize or have the confidence that you will not convince a coach of every one of your calls being right. Most of the time coaches will complain no matter what you call or say to them. I have a coach on Friday who complained every time we called a travel on his players and every time a player on the other team made a move he wanted a travel. It got to the point I had to tell the coach to "knock it off" and he figured it out and did just that. And we kept calling the game the way we did before and after his complaining. I just think you need to stop putting much stock into what coaches say and be confident in what you call. You can also grow your confidence by watching more video of yourself so you can see for yourself if that block/charge is correct. Listening to coaches about anything is really fool's gold.

Peace
I know a few guys who have been at it for 10 years, great guys, but just don't get it, never will.