The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

I think the biggest tool an official (rookie or veteran) can utilize is video review. Instead of being uneasy about a call you made for the rest of your life (or until you forget about it), you can see it from a different angle (perhaps two if there is video exchange software being used) and analyze your call. Did the defender establish initial LGP? Did the defender move into the ball handler? etc... I think it's underutilized by newer officials because it does take a lot of time to get proficient at using the information gleaned.

For my high school games, I arrive at the site, introduce myself to game management, and hand them a self-addressed stamped envelope with a DVD and ask for a copy. I'm not always successful but I get more of the videos than I have time to watch during the week and it is immensely helpful in my progression as an official.

-Josh
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 09:48am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by stir22 View Post
heh. Our "coffee place" is a 24 hour restaurant/diner whose clientele is truckers, workin' joes, and the occasional stripper (not kidding) stopping in for dinner after a hard night on the pole.
In North Carolina along I-95, there are a few truck stops that are actually strip clubs....but I digress.

What were we talking about?
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 12:04pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
My local board, according to our bylaws, will not assign a single varsity game to anyone unless they have worked four years, including the cadet year, as a subvarsity official, no matter how good they are. Members can't work a "full" varsity schedule until they have worked three years as a "split" (both varsity and subvarsity games) official.
How do they handle transfers? I'm not planning on moving to your corner of paradise...just wondering.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 12:20pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
How do they handle transfers? I'm not planning on moving to your corner of paradise...just wondering.
I always get a kick out of places who essentially turn away quality varsity-level officials because they tell them they have to work sub-varsity for an arbitrary amount of time.

I know that if I moved somewhere and was told I needed to work 7 years before becoming a full varsity official, my career would be over.

I'm not saying that I'd expect to not be evaluated -- I'd be happy to be seen 1, 2, 4, or 10 times my first season -- whatever they wanted -- but saying that an official, no matter how good, would need to work freshman games to "pay his dues" is ridiculous.

(I ran into something like that when I moved here, BTW. I was able to work a varsity schedule right away but I had to wait 3 years before I was post-season eligible even after 15 years of varsity experience in other states.)
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have seen it with others for sure. Some people never progress or learn the tricks of the trade to advance their skills. I remember John Adams saying some time ago before he was the NCAA Supervisor, he said, "Some guys just get it and others do not." I think that is somewhat true. And I think many younger officials overanalyze things in their game. We all have bad things happen or deal with conflict even with many years of experience.

It sounds like to me your issue is more about confidence than anything. You have to realize or have the confidence that you will not convince a coach of every one of your calls being right. Most of the time coaches will complain no matter what you call or say to them. I have a coach on Friday who complained every time we called a travel on his players and every time a player on the other team made a move he wanted a travel. It got to the point I had to tell the coach to "knock it off" and he figured it out and did just that. And we kept calling the game the way we did before and after his complaining. I just think you need to stop putting much stock into what coaches say and be confident in what you call. You can also grow your confidence by watching more video of yourself so you can see for yourself if that block/charge is correct. Listening to coaches about anything is really fool's gold.

Peace
I know a few guys who have been at it for 10 years, great guys, but just don't get it, never will.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 12:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Tranfser ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
IAABO transfers fill in, for the most part, seamlessly, including transfers from Connecticut's other local IAABO boards, or from IAABO boards outside Connecticut. Our assigning commissioner communicates with the transfer's previous assignment commissioner and they will usually pick up where they left off. I believe that these transfers are assigned schedules according to the IAABO (International) constitution, and bylaws.

Transfers from non-IAABO associations are another story. Our assignment commissioner will try to get as much information about the transferring official as possible. Our assignment commissioner will also schedule the transferring official for a few preseason scrimmages, and observe said official, and base the transfer's schedule on the observation.

And, yes, it is almost like paradise. Connecticut basketball game fees for 2012-2013: Varsity Fee: $89.76; Sub Varsity Fee: $58.21.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 02:21pm.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 12:42pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
IAABO transfers fill in, for the most part, seamlessly, including transfers from Connecticut's other local IAABO boards, or from IAABO boards outside Connecticut. Our assigning commissioner communicates with the transfers previous assignment commissioner and they will usually pick up where they left off. I believe that these transfers are assigned schedules according to the IAABO (International) constitution, and bylaws.

Transfers from non-IAABO associations are another story. Our assignment commissioner will try to get as much information about the transferring official as possible. Our assignment commissioner will also schedule the transferring official for a few preseason scrimmages, and observe said official, and base the transfer's schedule on the observation.

And, yes, it is almost like paradise. Connecticut basketball game fees for 2012-2013: Varsity Fee: $89.76; Sub Varsity Fee: $58.21.
How much of it is worked 3-person? How much travel money are you paid?

There's more to doing this than the paycheck you receive for the game.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
How much of it is worked 3-person? How much travel money are you paid?

There's more to doing this than the paycheck you receive for the game.

That is true, but BMac is getting more than double what we get in WA state for a three man varsity game. WOW!
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_ref View Post
That is true, but BMac is getting more than double what we get in WA state for a three man varsity game. WOW!
Could be worse...you could be working in Louisiana.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 01:15pm
NFHS Official

Quote:

Is this for a single game?
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 02:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

My Little Corner Of Connecticut ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
How much of it is worked 3-person? How much travel money are you paid? There's more to doing this than the paycheck you receive for the game.
Almost all two person games, except for an occasional holiday tournament. No mileage, however the longest trip, one way from one corner, to the other corner, of our area is 55 miles, so I'm guessing that the average one way trip would be around fifteen, to twenty, miles, one way.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 06:26pm.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 02:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

My Wallet Runeth Over ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Is this for a single game?
Fee, per person, per game, and subvarsity includes freshman, and middle school, games.

Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 02:32pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Fee, per person, per game, and subvarsity includes freshman, and middle school, games.
Is that 1 game per night or 2? Here there is no set fee for officials.
The state association leaves it up to the school. Some schools will pay mileage for the driver. We get anywhere between $100 to $150 for 2 varsity games per official. Always have a girls game followed by a boys game.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 03:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Double Dare ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Is that 1 game per night or 2?.
All varsity assignments are single games. Occasionally subvarsity officials will get a freshman/junior varsity doubleheader, or a middle school/junior varsity doubleheader.

Fee is set by our state interscholastic sports governing body, with automatic raises each year equal to the average salary increase for teachers in the state.

Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Girls and Boys on same nights? So 2 crews?