View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 03:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Just think of this player as "dribbling" off the court floor when he "dribbles" off the backboard. Also remember that this is not a try. Do I have this right?
That's what we were told at a meeting last year. If the player in possession has the capability to dribble and bounces the ball off the opposing backboard, he has to (in the words of our interpreter) "continue the dribble off the backboard" in order be able to move with the ball. If he catches it, then he cannot dribble anymore. And, if I remember correctly, if the possessor does not have the capability to dribble, he cannot be the next to possess the ball if he bounces the ball off the opposing basket (i.e. another player must gain possession).

And it cannot be a legal try. If a A1 is fouled while throwing the ball off the opposing backboard or accidentally tries for a basket, it does not warrant free-throws. It would just be a throw-in at the spot closest to the spot of the foul.

That just led me to a question though... what if the ball goes into the wrong basket when a player, in shooting motion, is fouled? I think this is dead ball and the basket doesn't count, but may need someone to confirm that.