View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 15, 2012, 10:57am
Lighten up, Francis.

Elbows, revisited

The last elbow thread is very far afield, so I'd like to start over and try to get a general feel for how people around the country are being told to officiate the new elbow POE.

Here's what we're being told by state interpreters (although I've heard different from a local interpreter who hates what we've actually been told). All of these assume contact with an opponent above the shoulders.

Stationary elbow: This means an elbow that is not moving at all. Example: setting a screen with elbows out; or holding the ball (without pivoting) over your head or under your chin.

If contact occurs with a stationary elbow, it may be incidental or common. If a common foul, it's likely to be a team control foul.

Moving elbow or swinging (but NOT excessively) elbow: Example: after securing a rebound, player legally pivots, but the elbow accidentally hits an opponent in the head; or player holding the ball tries to pivot away from tight defensive pressure, but the elbow hits an opponent in the head.

If contact occurs with an elbow that is moving or swinging (but NOT excessively), we're being told that it's possible for very slight contact to be incidental. A graze would not be a foul. Anything beyond a graze will get a whistle. If it's truly accidental and not very substantial, it could still be a PC foul; but that we should err on the side of an intentional foul.

Excessively swung elbow: Elbow moving faster than the torso.

If contact occurs above the shoulders, this is a minimum of an intentional foul. While it could be flagrant, we don't want to DQ players unless we really feel that there was intent to strike the opponent.

That's it in my neck of the woods. What are you guys hearing?