View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 14, 2012, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
I have kept this debate civil and now just because you can't prove me wrong you insult my rule knowledge!
I'm entirely civil. Read what you wrote. Either you don't understand LGP or you didn't write what you think you did.

Quote:
You have yet to prove that LGP is only required on a moving player. You can't even point to the rule that says so.

My understanding of LGP is solid. You have made the wrong assumption that LGP is only necessary for a moving player. That is wrong in some cases. The case play noted above for one. The rule book doesn't even say that LGP is only necessary for a moving player.
Rule 4-23-3. LGP is a status, once obtained, that grants the defender the right to be moving in certain ways at the time of contact. That is the entire purpose of LGP. It doesn't grant any additional rights to someone who is stationary. So, if they are not moving, they don't really need LGP.
Quote:

Let me try and state this another way. If a stationary player does not have LGP in some instances the defender is more responsible for the contact.
How can a player who is not moving be responsible for contact? (And, just to be clear, we're not talking about a player who has a arm, leg, or hip extended outside their frame).
Quote:
Again, my classic example. B2 has obtained LGP against A2 (ie both feet on the floor and torso facing the defender). That is definitely the requirement for obtaining LGP.

Now A1 gets by B1. B2, who has not established LGP on A1, moves to block A1's path up the court. In doing so B2 has one foot in and one foot out. He does not have LGP. B2 is more responsible for the contact.
And that B2 was MOVING, not stationary.
Quote:

Unless A1 does something like pushing off or a forearm to the head or chest or if A1 could have avoided B2, I have a block on B2. He did not have LGP. In this instance it is required.
Agree.... because B2 was moving.

Quote:
Once LGP is established you are correct. The foot in the air means nothing. I said that the defender had NOT OBTAINED LGP. Or at least I meant to. The foot in the air when moving to OBTAINED LGP does have some bearing assuming that the foot is still in the air when contact occurred and LGP has not been established.
Well, that is not what you said earlier.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Nov 14, 2012 at 06:53pm.