View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:40am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
NFL, NCAA, NFHS, Canadian Rulings:

On these plays, the "Tackle" is something you would not rule as unnecessary roughness against a normal player, but something that if performed on a QB behind the line, you WOULD rule as roughing the passer.

A) RB#34 is 10 yards past the line of scrimmage when he attempts to pass the ball downfield to WR#80. RB is then tackled as above. Ruling?
The RB is expected to know where he is on the field, so I would rule this an offside pass (subject to penalty). When the RB is hit as you describe, I do not see an illegal hit because the defense wouldn't expect a forward pass from the RB.

Quote:
B) RB#34 is 10 yards past the line of scrimmage when he attempts to throw a backward pass across the field to WR#80. RB is then tackled as above. Ruling?
When the RB is hit as you describe, I do not see an illegal hit because the defense wouldn't expect a forward pass from the RB again because he is sufficiently beyond the LS. That a pass was made doesn't draw a RTP foul. B could still be guilty of a generic UR foul, though, but it would have to sell itself.

Quote:
C) RB#34 is 10 yards past the line of scrimmage when he attempts to throw a backward pass across the field to WR#80. Due to wind, the ball actually ends up going 2 yards forward before caught by WR#80. While the ball is in the air, RB is tackled as above. Ruling?
Same as (B).