View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 04, 2012, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refk View Post
I was officiating boys MS basketball game with a new partner last week. The first game of the night went very well as did the second game until about 1 minute left. H1 goes up for layup and misses, V1 gets rebound. I start heading the other way and see that home team steals ball and goes up for layup, as I'm changing direction it "appears" that H1 gets hammered going up for layup. Partner (lead) doesn't have anything... Home coach is very upset (has been exemplary all game) and comes out on the floor and yells at partner "You have to call that or someone is going to get hurt ". Partner T's him up.....

I'm talking with the coach, trying to "cool things off" as FT's administered..... He says to me, " There's only a minute left and we are behind by 10 so the foul doesn't make any difference in the game , I get that,,,,, but he's gotta call something, my player really could have gotten hurt". I tell the coach that my partner had a really good look at the play and maybe from his view (coach's) it looked like a foul but I have trust my partner. Coach calmed down and was fine with my explanation.

As we are entering locker room, partner says "That coach is out of his mind if he thinks I was going to call that foul with 1 minute left. The player got fouled but he should have made the layup the first time". The comment took a few seconds for me to process......... as we are starting to get dressed he asked what I thought and I told him I call the game till the buzzer goes off and I would have called it if it was a foul. He didn't say anything else, grabbed his belongings and left without saying a word.

Did I handle it right ?? I have him a couple more times this year .

Thanks
I might be in the minority here, but I really think you need to stay away from "cooling off" the coach and saying you think he did not referee til the end. If you had been my partner we probably would have had a "discussion" about that.

If you want to disagree with the no-call, that's fine but you did not have the same look.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt that it was an obvious foul that needed to be called, then blow your whistle and call it.

If you are going to throw your partner under the bus, fix things with the coach, and then say that you thought he didn't finish the game, you are no better than your partner and are riding in the same boat.

You said it was a foul, then come in with a crew call, that way you only big time the guy once.