Thread: OBS or Tag Up
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 30, 2012, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
Ok, let's break this down and talk about angles. What do we need to see? I think we can agree in order of importance - a) R2, b) the ball (which is on the line in the OP), c) BR. Can we take a position either inside OR outside that will allow this? YES - you need to open your hips wide and get a bit deeper into the infield when inside. However, think about the most likely "next" plays. Inside or outside will be ok for the BR into 2nd or back to 1st, but if the BR goes to 3rd, outside isn't good at all. Even if you keep up with her, you have the ball coming over your shoulder.
You had me until this last statement. I can't see what play will have the ball coming over the shoulder - remember, I was saying you should be between B and 2nd base. The ball's in left field.

And regarding BR going to third, keep in mind, I'm not advocating growing roots and standing outside motionless. Remember, we're talking about a fly to left near the line. The play of BR to third is highly unlikely, and if it does develop, we have had plenty of time to adjust. Assuming PU came up the line as we agreed he should, he's likely got R2 at 3rd. I'm behind R2, but significantly ahead of BR. Once BR passes me, and assuming no play at 2nd, I'm already moving behind her further inside - and am now likely exactly where you advocate starting on this play.

I see no disadvantage in any possible play being outside on this play, and you have the large advantage of the very best look at the catch in LF and the runner on 2nd - coupled with a decent vantagepoint for actions at or around 1st base. Whereas starting inside you have an inferior view of the catch and 2nd base at the same time, and nearly NO view of actions at first base.

West Houston Mike