Thread: Trivia 3
View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 25, 2012, 04:51pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post
Don't have citation, but to me it is equivalent to a trapped ball. If ball is touching the ground in an effort to field the ball, "control" is being provided by the player and the ground. We don't have possession until the ball is lifted away.

For a play at a base, if in the process of catching the ball, the ball remains in contact with the ground or the base I wouldn't call an out unless the ball was lifted. But if Fn had ball in hand and the tags the base with the ball that would be an easy out.
There is a difference between a ball that is trapped under a glove, and one where the fielder is gripping it with the bare hand as we're discussing, IMO. With the glove, you can't see that the ball is being securely held underneath. With th bare hand, you can.

I honestly can't understand why some people feel that a gripped ball that is still touching the ground is not under the fielder's control. If I ever see a ball fall from a fielder's hand when he/she grips it and then lifts the hand, then I'll change my opinion on this. But I feel pretty confident that that won't happen.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker