Thread: Use the Force?
View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 19, 2012, 03:51pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I agree with you ruling, but lets add a little something extra. After R1 is tagged out by F6, can the Defense just appeal R1 missing 2B thereby having an advantageous Fourth Out?
If I'm not mistaken, in softball, unlike baseball, the advantageous fourth out may only be recorded on the scoring runner.

For example, let's say on this play, the runner going to second did tag second base, but then overslid the bag and was tagged for the third out. On the play, R1 from third passed home before the tag (time play), but she missed home plate. The defense may appeal the miss of home for the advantageous fourth out.

So I'm not sure you can have an advantageous fourth out here. What you may have (which is the crux of MD's question) is that the out at second is still a force out to negate the run. I'm not sure what the answer is on that one.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker