Thread: PC on Shaq
View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 30, 2003, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: did not see the play, but

>As I recall seeing the play Shaq was towards the left side low post with the ball and 1 defender.

Right so far.

>Shaq spun in towards the paint (to his right) & put the ball up.

Shaq's back was to the hoop/paint, he wheeled to his left and into the paint where Hudson (Minn point guard, 2ND defender) had established legal guarding position outside the arc.

>Arc was not a consideration - 1 on 1.

Hudson is small....maybe you didn't see him?

>The defender had obviously established legal guarding position. There was almost no contact that I could see on the shot (might have been an earlier clearout on the spin I missed though, who knows).

You are right, there was little contact with the primary
defender, but Shaq leveled Hudson.... no flop there, Hudson
giving away 200 lbs.

>It was Shaq's second early in the game so he went & took a break.

Yup, that's the one.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
How I am reading this is you had a primary defender, and Shaq drove toward a secondary defender who was in his line of movement and stationed outside the arc. In this and other similar (arc and non-arc) situations, if the defender is moving you will have a block, if the defender is stationary you should have a charge. And you won't normally see a clear out action.

If you are referring to switching defenders as one defender gets beaten, I don't know how the NBA looks at it but I consider the new guy to be the new primary defender if he picks up ball and is moving with the ball handler. The original defender is ancient history. So that's where I was coming from.
As I recall seeing the play Shaq was towards the left side low post with the ball and 1 defender. Shaq spun in towards the paint (to his right) & put the ball up. Arc was not a consideration - 1 on 1. The defender had obviously established legal guarding position. There was almost no contact that I could see on the shot (might have been an earlier clearout on the spin I missed though, who knows). It was Shaq's second early in the game so he went & took a break.

I would love to see the play again. Anyone else see it?