View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 16, 2012, 11:25am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I've seen the aftermath of what happens when a player chooses to kick instead of defer and the referee goes with it without further clarification. It was, in a word, ugly. I haven't seen an entire coaching staff that PO'd in a long time. Needless to say, they kicked off the second half from their own 25.

Despite what these few, rare, coaches desire, the majority do NOT want us to let their players make that mistake. If they want to kick, it will be made perfectly clear to us before hand. Obviously the responsibility falls on the coaches to ensure the right option is chosen however from a game management perspective, I will not let a captain elect to kick or defend a goal without it being perfectly clear that is what they want.
I agree with that last paragraph totally. It has happen to me in a high school game and we had no problems. I told the coach, "He insisted and we went with his choice." Of course the coaches were mad, but guess what, they realized they needed to teach better. And again this is often prevented in our state because coaches are to be at the coin flip for a "Sportsmanship Meeting" and can stay for the actual coin flip. We can use the coaches as second ears to get the right choice. When this situation happened with me, it was before that procedural change.

Peace