View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 16, 2012, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I'll post the relevant NCAA citations but they are no different from Fed.

9-1-2

ARTICLE 2. a. No person subject to the rules shall strike an opponent with the knee; strike an opponent’s helmet (including the face mask) ,
neck, face or any other part of the body with an extended forearm, elbow, locked hands, palm, fist, or the heel, back or side of the open hand;
or gouge an opponent (A.R.9-1-2-I).
This is obviously a dead letter as applies to "any other part of the body with...palm...or the heel...of the open hand". What coaches now call a "punch" -- a jab with the palm or heel of the hand against the opponent's frame, usually both hands at once -- is an accepted use of the hands in blocking. When they liberalized use of the hands, they said they weren't going to allow them to deliver a blow, but that prohibition, at least as done by extension at the elbow, i.e. a jab, has fallen by the wayside, I'm not sure just when.

Doesn't it seem odd the rule would be written as above to enumerate certain targets (helmet, neck, and face) and then add "or any other part of the body", when they could've simply written, "No person subject to the rules shall strike an opponent (or opponent's helmet, including the face mask) with the knee, an extended forearm...."? Are the helmet, neck, and face special, or aren't they?