View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

All the other arguments aside, what just annoys me to no end about this "gross miss" is that Nelson is at fault for failing to be in better position. I've heard the angle versus distance argument enough to know that Jeff Nelson should ABSOLUTELY know better than to run directly at the play while trying to make that call on the move. Angle versus distance should be second nature to Nelson. There is just NO EXCUSE for him not adjust his movement to be perpendicular to the play and to come set when the ball reaches the base so he can make the call from a set position. That is basic umpiring 101.

That an umpire who is deemed good enough to merit a postseason assignment fails at this most basic application of umpiring principles is very disappointing and turns out to be fairly embarrassing when it results in a gross miss.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates