View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 30, 2003, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chris s
Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
Seems to me that from set you are already turned, but from windup, even with no rocker step, you have to add the turn time (or risk the results of an all-arm pitch).

Go try it. Stand on mound in wind-up position, lift leg straight up and then try to TURN on pivot foot putting pivot foot in hole in front of mound as in stretch position and try to pitch.
You'll break your ankle. Why would you have to turn?

But I think I have the answer I was looking for. I am with you Chris s, I have never seen a pitcher throw to a base while in the wind-up position while on the rubber, and if I do......THAT'S A BALK!!

1) I said you'd risk the consequences of NOT turning. If you start in windup and deliver to the plate without turning you'll have an all-arm throw with nothing on it and/or you'll hurt yourself.

2)NO IT IS NOT A BALK!!!!!! IT IS SPECIFICALLY PERMITTED IN RULE 8.01(a) IN BOTH LL AND OBR. If you call a balk and get protested, you will lose.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Especially in FED, step and throw from wind-up is not legal. If anybody has some video of this move, I'd love to see it. I just don't see it possible. Step and throw to first from wind-up, yea, never seen it, but it is legal and possible, for a righty. But, how many dumb coaches are having thier F1's toss from wind-up with runners on??
Yes, it is a balk in FED. We said so. The original question was, though, about LL, not FED.