Thread: NYY v BO
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 09, 2012, 11:25am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
I would consider this a live ball appeal of missing a base, just like missing first base. However, the catcher would have to give an indication that he is appealing the missed base, not just merely touching the plate (the 'accidental appeal'). But I would give some leeway as to what constitutes an indication.

That would be a great heads up play, but then again, they are catcher's for a reason.
Again, it is NOT possible, under pro baseball rules, to appeal a miss of the plate under these circumstances. After Ichiro avoided the tag and missed the plate, he immediately attempted to return to touch it. If Wieters had tagged the plate and given some indication to appeal as you state, the PU would not have acknowledged the appeal.

I don't have access to my softball rules right now, so I'm soliciting a rule citation under ASA, NFHS, and/or NCAA that would support your claim.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker