View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 02:56am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texref View Post
I would agree that it is up to individual opinion on who had control of the ball. I don't have a dog in the fight as I don't care for either team, although I fall on the side of the play being an interception. I don't have a problem with the ruling on the field either. The refs are doing the best they can under the circumstances and I commend them for that.
This is not about individual opinion. Jennings was still in the air when the Seattle Receiver came back to the ground with both feet. That is a fact and slow motion even confirms it was not that close (in other words you can clearly see this fact). I also have no dog in this fight, but feel we need to be correct when making rulings and not just giving opinions. Possession cannot happen until you come to the ground and only the NFL requires two feet which Jennings did not have before the Seattle player was grabbing at the ball too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texref View Post
My problem is someone arguing a point that is not relevant in this play. Both players possessed the ball once on the ground. To secure control, one does not have to have anything on the ground, ie a foot or both feet. That is necessary to obtain possession but not control. In my view of the play, it is obvious that the green bay player controlled the ball prior to Seattle player gaining control. With that mindset, yes the play was ruled incorrectly by time.
If you deem the Seattle player controlled at the same time as green bay player, then you have a simultaneous possession and the ruling on the field was correct.
Someone was on the ground first. That is all I am saying and suggesting. And when the player comes down first, they win. That is why in reality this is not even about a simultaneous catch, it was about the offensive player came down first. And again the definitions in the NFL, NCAA and NF all say possession does not take place until you come down to the ground with possession of the ball.

Peace