View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 21, 2012, 05:43pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Not that I'm looking for something to excuse the PU here, but ya gotta admit that the play was so unusual, it's quite possible that it caught him totally by surprise, and that's why he missed calling the Time Play at home.

Sometimes, the philosophy "Expect the Unexpected" that we preach to young umpires at the lowest levels is forgotten by seasoned veterans. I know I've been caught moving one way in anticipation of a play, or relaxing when I think a play isn't going to happen, and then something out of the ordinary catches me unprepared. This PU probably thought Zimm was going to field the ball cleanly and throw to first, and then when Zimm muffed it, he assumed there would be no play.

Stuff happens even in the pros. Being ready for that stuff is easier said than done.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker