View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 18, 2012, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Quote by Texas State Rule's Interpreter (ASA and NFHS), pertaining to a similar play, a few years ago.

Pitch ball bounces off catcher and/or backstop. The ball goes between the batter’s legs still in the batter’s box. Batter kicks the ball as she moves out of the batter’s box.

Umpire: Batter interference, batter out, runner back to previous base. The key is a movement by the batter that hinders the catcher. A batter does not have to move, reason being that if we make them move, they are subject to be called out for interference.
Does the interpreter recommend calling an out if no baserunners are attempting to advance and there is no play to be had?

No play = no interference

In the OP, it is not explicitly stated, but I read that the runner on third is only a step or two off of third and did not try to advance UNTIL the ball was kicked away. When the ball was kicked by the batter, there was no "play" available to the catcher.

I like and somewhat agree with mbcrowder's resolution, but the only rule I can begin to stretch that far is 10-1.....