View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 14, 2012, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

True but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
I'm trying to think of an "illegal act" (ie: rule violation) that does not have a penalty or consequence attached to it.

Can't think of one...

In the case of a runner going back to touch a missed/left early base when she's no longer entitled to correct her baseruinning error, I don't see that as being an illegal act. If she does go back, what is the penalty associated with doing that? There isn't one.

Rather than being an illegal act/rule violation, I'd call this a moot act. Whether she goes back or not, it has no bearing on the play or the call. All that runner did was get a little extra exercise and some baserunning practice!
There are plenty of rule violations, (and going back to touch a base they are not entitled to is a rules violation), that we don't rule on until requested to.

BOO for instance. This is a rules violation, just like returning in the above scenario. Do we stop it from happening? Not in ASA. We are suppose to wait until requested to rule on it.

Do we stop a running from returning? No. But we do honor the appeal if made.

It all boils down to the rule book, which states "May not return". Can you think of a situation where an umpire would say to a player or coach "Player Y may not do X", where X is not a rules violation?