View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 27, 2003, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chris s
Dakota, 11-12's. BS call IMHO. It went against opposing team, I am wondering bout this. Delay in BB is very seldom called, jewelry should not be the cause....JMHO
OK which is it? A BS call or making up rules? It is, as I explained, not how I would handle it, and a bit hard nosed. I call a lot of 12U rec ball, similar players and atmosphere, I imagine, to LL. I would not even consider jumping right to calling strikes in a case like this.

If, as I speculated above, the umpire was attempting to prevent delay / problems after having seen girls warm up wearing jewlery, then his annoyance is understandable. If both teams were reminded of the jewelry rule, but one chose to ignore the reminder, well, who is to blame for even having the girl enter the box still wearing jewelry?

Making this call in this situation, it seems to me, would cause more rukus than it would help the game move along - after all, the purpose of the no jewelry rule is safety, and the purpose of the 10 sec rule is stopping delay. Going right to the penalty in this situation is not good game management, IMO. None of that, however, means he was making up rules.

Baseball is a different game with different traditions regarding delay and different rules.