Thread: David Rackley
View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 05, 2012, 03:17pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmagan View Post
2) Rackley held his head over first base afterwards, basically implying to St. Louis that he missed the bag.
I'm sorry, but I didn't see this. Rackley did look at the base as the runner reached it, as he is required to do. But when did he continue to hold it there?

The second camera angle in the video did show him looking down, but this was in slo-mo so it may appear to last a while when, in fact, it probably wasn't. You make it sound like he just stood there staring at the bag well after Torres passed it.

The fact that Torres didn't go bonkers at second base spoke volumes to me. If he did indeed feel that he touched the base, he would've likely charged after Rackley to state his case. He did, at the time, represent the game-tying run in the top of the ninth inning.

I also didn't see Tom Goodwin, the Mets first-base coach, going after Rackley either. And Terry Collins didn't seem too animated with his appeal. You gotta believe someone would've gotten tossed after that call if it was that bad.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker