View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 30, 2012, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

I once ejected a player in a professional game for spiking his helmet. The first base coach was on me in a second arguing the ejection, saying "what did he do?!? What did he do?!?" The manager came sprinting out of the dugout. I braced myself for what I was sure was going to be a long argument with the manager...only to have the manager run past me, go right to his player, and start yelling at his player, "we don't do that in professional baseball!" (Among other things he said to his player.)

Next inning, the first base coach came out and said, "sorry, I didn't see him spike his helmet."

Professional managers, coaches and (at least, veteran) players know that spiking one's helmet after a close call is an automatic ejection. Davey Johnson's comments echo the knowledge of the vast majority of professional managers/coaches.

Actually, Ozzy's "attitude" would be anything but a hindrance to him going far in the minors.

I guarantee you that there is not one professional umpire (at least a professional umpire in an NAPBL or MLB league) that thinks CB's ejections was wrong.