View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 27, 2012, 12:10pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
I would have never ruled that F3 had an opportunity on this play. F1 & F2 are right there and one of them would be protected.
I dunno, ozzy. F2 definitely had the harder play (and the fact that he didn't make it confirms that) caused by the fact that F3 couldn't get to the ball. I stopped the video the moment F3 contacted R1, and at that moment, all three fielders were about equidistant from the point where the ball fell. So I don't think it's a stretch to say that F3 would have called F2 (and F1, for that matter) off to make the catch had R1 not hindered him.

This was definitely a dumb move by R1. He's lollygagging back to first base while holding his arm up in the air. Interference should have been called right then and there, IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Here's one of several errors made by the crew: if U1 calls R1 out for INT, why is he allowing play to develop? Why are we throwing the ball across the diamond? Isn't it DEAD on INT?
I'm not so sure U1 made that call right away. It was only after the crew got together to discuss it did they make that determination.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker