View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 06:57am
This IS My Social Life

Clarification?

Quote:
Originally Posted by comical View Post
In the USA-Argentina game yesterday, a dunk by Iguodala was disallowed because the ball hit him on the way down and went back up through the basket. In the unlikely event a play like this occurs when I'm working at the table (I'm one of the handful of posters here that keep the book; I work at a Division III school) is it likely to be verbal communication with one or more of the officials that explained what happened? Should I look for a "no basket" signal? Any other thoughts about how this is handled?

Here's a link to a site with a video of the dunk. Thanks in advance. Sorry if this was mentioned in another thread, but I haven't seen it. [/url]
I, and I think I speak for the vast majority here on this forum, welcome the seasoned input and inquiries from table officials like you.

Help me out here . . . did they determine that the shooter committed basket interference, that the ball did not pass completely through the basket, and for that reason disallowed the score? Otherwise I can't figure why they wouldn't score the two points.

Interesting that, though 9-4 (NFHS, re. "Ball Enters Basket from Below") doesn't specify that a violation occurs whether the ball is dead or live, the penalty for it mentions that "the ball is dead when the violation occurs". So my assumption that a 9-4 violation would not apply because the ball was dead after passing through the basket.

Unless FIFA, upon converting the play to metric, has a rule different than the Fed.

Am I missing something in this sitch?

Thanx for the post. Someone from the Western US should be answering your other questions shortly, if he's still around.

Last edited by Freddy; Tue Aug 07, 2012 at 07:38am.