View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 06, 2012, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well I am still looking for a "published" book to say that the PU has all the running lane calls as well. So show me where it says that very point and I will concede that point all together. But remember I said that my state does not use any published mechanics book and made that very clear as well. We have not received any mechanic book from any sport from the NF in about 8 or 9 years. This is why I referenced my state's mechanics and what we were told to do as it relates to our mechanics. Also, the CCA book does not say anything to suggest that only the PU can or should be the only one to make this call. I do not work pro ball and had no desire to so I cannot speak for what they ask for or require.

Again, if you are going to debate this issue, at least you could follow along with the point you seem to not agree with. It is not hard. Heck I am still waiting for one reference to any published book from your position that the PU is always the only one that makes this call. Once again, I did not say they should not call this or that they are the main person to make this call.

Peace

Excuse me. My mistake. I thought you could read.

1. I gave two citations from a "published book," the mechanics manuial used by all Texas high school umpires. Here's another, from the National Federation Umpires Manual, under General Duties and Responsibilities of the Plate Umpire, page 40 in the 2010-2011 (latest) edition: "6. With a throw from near home plate, observe the batter-runner’s position in relation to the 3-foot running lane. If the batter-runner is not in the lane and interferes with the throw, call interference and the batter- runner out."

That mechanic represents another victory for, well, he said modestly, me. From my book, The Umpire's Answer Book, published in 1988 by Referee Enterprises. (You have heard of them?) I wrote: "Let's get this point clear: What I'm about to say is not in any rulebook, but it's a 'rule' nonetheless because it has been codified via the decisions of thousands of umpires in tens of thousands of games played all over the world. The running lane should enter an umpire's decision-making process only when the throw is being fielded to from behind the runner. For example, when the third baseman throws off line to first and the first baseman goes for the ball, don't look down to see where the BR's feet are; if you do, you're on your way to blowing the call. The intent of the rule is to keep the BR from screening the fielder behind him from the first baseman in front. Keep it that way in your games and you'll never get into trouble."

My assertion is not yet in a rule book, but it is in the rules lexicon of the NFHS. See on-line case book play #7, 2010, where Hopkins says the BR may interfere by being out of the lane and hit by "a ball fielded and thrown from behind him." And the mechanics manual, 1995-96, says running-lane interference is possible "with a throw from near home plate."

A note is in order: That "mechanic" has been in every FED manual since 1995.

2. I carefully explained, in words almost of two syllables or fewer, that to a vetern, trained umpire, "always" means that it is the assigned umpire's call. He will make it unless he asks for help. Typical pregame at the upper levels: "Smitty, I've got BR interference in the lane." That umpire will ALWAYS have that play except when he passes it off to U1.

3. The point of the Wendelstedt stories should be obvious. Lots of beginning umpires lurk around the Message Boards. Whom are they to believe? I've always taught that posts written by recognized authorities should carry some weight. I always included my qualifications. I don't remember you from the old days. Apparently, you arguments were not of sufficient weight to plant them as a permanent part of my memory bank. That's just a guess, but it's based on your performance in this thread.

4. I said you could have the last word. I lied.

4, NOW you can have the last word. And you cannot trap me into replying by misrepresenting what I've said. I stand by my posts in this thread. You can be like the Affirmative side in the old system of debate: They always spoke last.