Thread: Bean Bags!
View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 24, 2003, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JMN
I thought that I would call on the combined wisdom of this board (I miss Derock) to discuss a topic I don't think is avaibable for review in any mechanics manual. Maybe it's too easy to understand.

Under the NFHS and NCAA codes, in which situations is it mandatory to drop a bean bag? I know the mechanics differ a bit between codes. Please be specific with which code you're citing when posting.

Thanks, fellas.
NFHS Officials Manual states:

A. The bean bag is to be dropped on the appropriate yard line in accordance with the situations calling for such action in this manual.

B. The bean bag is to serve as an aid to enforcement and not an absolute reference point.

Here are my instructions to my crew on using the bean bag.

- When the player possession is lost during the down - mandatory
- When you need to mark a spot and then to tend to the players

The new one this coming season, when possession of the ball following a scrimmage kick occurs. With the PSK enforcement this season you have to be able to mark the enforcement spot. In previous seasons, you returned to the previous spot.

One last and important caveat, DO NOT use your beanbag to throw at a spot. If you can't hustle to a spot, then unhustle yourself to another crew.