View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 05, 2012, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This all depends on the mechanics you are using. In a 4 man that might be true. In a two person or three person that might not be true at all based on many factors. And I do not focus that much on the ball as a BU. I watch where the ball is being thrown mostly. If you follow the ball the play might blow up on you and not see everything. And I did not say that the PU was would not be watching this, but to act like neither umpire can call this is silly too. I simply said that both can call this if they see it. It is about angles and in some plays the PU is not on the line directly or can be screened.

Peace
I've read the full thread. At the risk of offensing some people, there's a great deal of misinformation in these posts. Running lane rules are essentially the same everywhere.

1. It's always the plate umpire's call. 2-man,l 3-man, 4-man. If he's gets screened, he should move from high school to junior high. Especially in 2-man, the base umpire will never have the correct angle.

2. The runner must have both feet in the running lane or be in jeopardy of an out for interference. If he doesn't interfere, he may run anywhere he wants.

3. The ball doesn't have to hit the batter-runner. But if it is thrown and the fielder covering first misses it, the umpire must judge it was a quality throw. If yes, BR is out. If no, E2 (or whoever).

4. If the fielder behind the runner DOES NOT THROW, there can be no interference. It's different when the batter interferes with the catcher's throw to a base. At the plate, the catcher does not have to throw.

5. New this year in NCAA (and already the rule in OBR): If the batter-runner has been advancing legally, as he nears the base he may le\ave the running lane to acquire the base. Jim Evans started preaching that in 1991. In 2007 it finally showed up in the book. See section 282 in the 2012 BRD.

This is pretty easy stuff though it is one of the rules many amateur umpires have difficulty getting their heads around.

Mostly, it's like 3 strieks and you're out. The only judgment ever involved is: The throw didn't hit the batter-runner and the covering fielder didn't catch the throw.

KISS, fellows. Now, obstruction? That's tough! Running lane? Kindergarden.

Of course, one must admit in some venues it takes guts to make that call. But if you can't, take up soccer.