View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 27, 2012, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
But unless I'm wrong, ASA is alone on their viewpoint. FED and NCAA both penalize the batter-runner with an out if she contacts a batted ball in foul territory that is judged that it might go fair. Not sure of other sanctioning softball organizations. And most, if not all, baseball organizations are the same.

So what logic ASA used to come up with this position is a mystery. Why would a batter or runner want to intentionally contact a foul ball that might go fair other than to prevent an out? Isn't that why the interference rule exists?
No mystery. A batted ball touched on or over foul territory prior to passing 1st or 3rd base is a foul ball. Nothing hard to figure out here, it is the same in all games.

Is the defender not permitted to do the same thing? Nothing new here.

Quote:
ASA penalizes a batter for unintentionally contacting a loose ball while she runs to first after an uncaught third strike, but they don't penalize a batter for intentionally contacting a batted ball that is foul but might go fair. I'm just not tracking...
Here we go again. You are refering to a pitched ball that was mishandled, though I agree this form of INT should be required to be INT. To the point that I submitted a rule change that was rejected. However, we are referring to an untouched batted ball thats status has yet to be determined, by rule.

Are you suggesting that we now forbid any player from touching any batted ball along the line prior to reaching the base because it may or may not go fair or foul?