View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 23, 2012, 01:16pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The PCA is still mostly for on ball situations. If there are no competitive matchups in your primary, you can go outside to help or assist in plays and often have to go outside to get those kinds of situations called. The on-ball official often is not going to see screens or rebounding situations the way the other two officials have the potential to do. Heck the C in many situations calls things that is not in their coverage area. And if they only define their calls to what is in their primary then we will miss a lot of stuff as a crew in a particular game. Peace
Well stated, my friend across the big pond!
I guess what I'm sensitive about is this tendancy I've observed, which I may have mentioned before: the pregame advice "Everyone call what's in your primary", though understood properly, means to some that they're gonna ball-watch all over the court, just not make a call they see in a partner's primary. No off-ball coverage is accomplished and shenanigans (sp?) off-ball get out of hand and pretty soon there's all kindsa "crap" to have to clean up.
To counter that, we're continuing to ask the pregame question, "How will we know you're turning off-ball when the ball passes out of your primary?" This, intending to give emphasis to off-ball surveillance, includes what Rut says and the aforementioned "crew-saver" concern states previously.
I thank you all for the opportunity to give attention to this matter.
What else is there to do for twelve hours each day at work?