Thread: awarding bases
View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 17, 2012, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Here is an excerpt from my umpire's association umpires manual which I wrote:

Example: R1, no out, hit-and-run. Fly ball to F9. R1 doesn’t pick up the ball off the bat and takes off for third base. F9’s throw to F3 to double-off R1 is wild and goes into the dugout. R1 who is between second and third when the ball goes into dead ball territory, cannot return to legally retouch first base (under high school rules).

Ruling: Under high school rules R1 is awarded two bases from the time of the pitch, so he gets third base. He is subject to being called out on appeal as he is not allowed to retouch first base. Under the major league interpretation (MLB Umpire’s manual 5.10), the runner is awarded home but is liable to be put out on appeal. However, he CAN return to first to legally re-touch first base if he does so properly. If he does, the umpire shall change his award to third base. This prevents “tipping off” the defense.

In South Carolina high school games, at the end of the play you will, on your own, call the runner out for leaving early (because we have no appeal rule in South Carolina). So this whole example is moot for high school purposes in South Carolina. For American Legion games use the major league interpretation. (For High School see 2003 case book 8.2.5 situation, pg. 56 and 2003 Rulebook Rule 8-3-5, pg. 53 for how I came up with this example)