View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 11, 2012, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
Although I would change one thing with this mechanic, I like the fact that NCAA is letting everyone know that we have a strike three and an uncaught pitch. I would like to see this or some similar type of mechanic in all codes.
Could have sworn it was posted in the spring that the NCAA does not prescribe this mechanic.

And who is seeing this signal? Everyone, but the two involved, batter and catcher. My personal opinion is that this signal is meant to "excuse" the PU if the batter and/or catcher do not properly respond to the play at hand which is exactly why it was developed in MLB. A batter was smarter than a catcher and a coach couldn't win the argument as there was no substance to it.

Personally, the more I think about this, the more I lean toward just dumping the 3rd strike rule. The batter failed, end of story.

Quote:
If we have a trapped ball on a batted ball, don't we signal or annouce "no catch"?
Not always

Quote:
If we have a missed tagged by the defense, don't we announce "No tag" and signal safe?
No, not always and in some cases, we are instructed to NOT say that.

Quote:
Why can't we tell the offense and the defense that we have a strike three and an uncaught pitch? Other than the reason that it isn't an approved mechanic.
Again, who are you telling? Those for whom it would be intended are looking the other way by design. The people who will see the signal are already going to be screaming either "run" or "tag her" or "throw it to 1st" long before the umpire makes such a signal. I consider it extraneous and quite possibly, a good possibility for inconsistency since the PU is not always aware the ball was not caught.